Monday, December 10, 2007

Meghan's Beer Cheese Soup

3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 can or bottle of Beer (light beer works best, but any will work)
4-6 cups of milk (I use whatever I have, usually 2%)
1 Chicken Bouillon cube
1 small brick of Velveta Cheese (you can use Cheddar cheese, but velveta is smoother)
salt and pepper to taste

In a hot pot, melt butter and add flour to make a roux.  Cook for a few minutes, and stir in beer, add milk and bouillon cube.  Bring up to a simmer and stir in cheese a little at a time until it is all melted.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE: My MIL gave me this recipe but didn't give me exact measurments, so all of these are approx.  

Also if you want to sub lower fat velveta, and skim milk I don't think it will make to much of a difference! I haven't tried it, if you do that please let us know!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and added green onion on top... I think this would be a fantastic soup for a bread bowl!